Interview out of ASTAN MAGAZIN VOL 24 – 2006
It’s an very old but fun interview~
If you know more older interviews please let me know!~
Please don’t publish my translation at your website, but simply create a link back to this website. Thank you very much.
The Japanese answer to BAUHAUS an NIN?
In July/August Calmando Qual will go on tour in Europe. Drummer SHIO is their new member. We asked all members some questions alone…
A few questions to vocalist Hibiki:
So Calmando Qual will release a new CD this Summer?
– The upcoming album will be stylistically unbound. I think our music has grew powerfully.
What’s the difference between German and Japanese concerts?
– I think Japanese people are way more shy so that’s why I was not so outrageous on stage.
But I have checked out how German musicians are on stage, so I guess that I will be this time in summer way more outrageous on the strage than last time.
You don’t play an instrument, how do you stand your place in Calmando Qual?
– Of course with my voice. Also I try to be exuberant on stage to transfer my lyrics via my voice and body message.
About what are you singing in your songs “March Of The Apes” and “Hedonism”?
– In March of the Apes I sing about all the shit around me. Tasc wrote the chorus of Hedonism but I don’t even understand what’s it about…?
Your movements on the stage are not common, who or what was your inspiration for it?
– B-Horror-Movies, Robert DeNiro, Gary Oldman, Bruce Campbell, dogs, cats, insects and of course music.
If you was a woman what should have been your name?
Hibiki it’s a nice name. (Hibiki means; echo ) as noice and as voice. I also love the sound of how it’s been spoken out.
If there would be a comic about Calmando Qual. Would you like it?
– I would like to be represented as a conceivable evil person. There is no living creature who is more evil than a human being. I’m looking forward to the comic.
A few questions to guitarist Tak
You are playing in more bands. Is it no problem for your inspiration?
– It’s difficult for my daily life. But it’s a lot of fun for me, because of this I can grow a lot.
The bands who you are playing in sound different than the sound of Calmando Qual. How do you get in the right vipe if you are playing in the other bands?
– Every band fits perfect to me, every band belongs to my style.
You are a big fan of Bauhaus. Do you also got the inspiration and style from the guitarist of Bauhaus?
– Bauhaus was a big influence for me.
A lot of German girls thought you were obviously highly attractive. How do you deal with it?
– Thank you very much! lol
How many guitars do you have and do they have a name?
– I own 4 guitars, but no of them have a name.
When did you start playing guitar and which song you mastered first?
– I did start playing guitar in Junior High School, One of Hides song was the first one which I could play.
Tell us something about your guitar style.
– Lot’s of guitarist love to play very fast. I love it more to create a “collage of noise” and to put way more feeling inside the solo’s.
A few questions to Bass Kenka
Did you get a new bass guitar?
– It’s a Gibson Thunderbird Studio 5 sting version.
This model has been released in Japan not long ago.
The sound has a beautiful average warm tone. The normal Thunderbird is not bad too, but you can’t compare it with my new bass. The tune let sound my play different but I really love it!
Drums or computer?
– Absolutely drums! With a drummer I can get inside the music way better and it’s way more pleasant on the stage.
Why did you decide to play bass guitar and not normal guitar?
-I like the bass, he has a cool sound and the sound can be like melodious as rhythmically. I really like the optics of a bass a lot.
Are there songs from other bands which you like? from the point of a bassist?
-Every song, lol. Well I actually really do love melodious songs.
The way you present yourself on the stage, some people call it “demonic” or as “creepy”. What do you think about that?
– That’s the exact how it should been felt. If I’m not on the stage people don’t noise me at all, also I’m not creepy at all. They say that there is a big gab between me on the stage and backstage. So that’s why I wish it. So I’m evil? Peferfect, Thank you!
Who is the best lover? the bassist, the drummer, the guitarist, the – keyboarder or the vocalist?
In this band? I don’t know! I believe we are all repulsive, heh!
Woman wear a lot of different clothes, guys love some of those a lot, particularly: Lingerie, pants, dress, which one do you love the most?
– I don’t care, as so long it fits the woman. But lingerie you can’t really call that clothes isn’t? Of course I do like it too, but a woman never should show to much from herself.
A few questions to Tasc (keyboard)
Lately a lot of bands have a keyboarder in their band.
– I think a band without a keyboarder sounds like the daily rock band. With a keyboard the sounds will be more electronically and more new and that’s what I like.
Because there is a new drummer, you don’t need to program that much anymore. Is it more easy for you now? Or is something missing now?
– My work isn’t more easy now. The work way didn’t really change to create a piece. So I don’t miss anything.
Which keyboards do you own? And which onces do you really like?
– I have 5 keyboards. Every keyboard has their own specialty, that why I can’t really say which one I like. I always need to sample lots of sounds to use on stage so that I only need one keyboard on stage. Actually I would like to bring all of them on the stage.
Did you ever take piano lessons?
– No, no lessons at all. My little sister has a piano in our parents home. She plays piano. I was always interested to create new tones. Playing was never important to me, to create new tones with the synthesizer that was important.
Famous piano players/organists/composers from Europe are Mozart and Bach. Can you play something of them?
– I know both but I can’t play anything from their works.
Which band was your biggest inspiration?
– Nine Inch Nails
What’s the biggest difference between a guitarist and a keyboardist. IF you look at the compose work.
– I think keyboards work more systematics. since I can play guitar and keyboard I’m able to create very raw song structures. Some songs which I have composed are completely free from keys.
A few questions to the new drummer
What’s your name?
How did you join Calmando Qual?
– via a friend of Tasc…
Which kind of music do you listen?
– Metal and Rock
In which band did you play?
– It was a very strange band, we didn’t sell a lot of CD’s. But it was a wonderful band.
Is Calmando Qual the only band in which you play at the moment?
– Yes, but soon also in the band “Shann” but right now I only live for Calmando Qual!
Why do you only play drums and no other instrument?
– I play piano, horns and Guitar. But playing drums is the most fun.
This summer Calmando Qual will come to Europe again. Did you traveled ever outside of Japan?
– I have been in Guam, but I have never been in Europe. The others did told something about it, I guess I will gonna love it!